Five on Friday: The Birds, Flowers, And Trees

I’m sure the bees were around as well but I have no good pictures of them.  Although I’m late to the party, I didn’t want to miss a third Five on Friday in a row.  Be sure to check out the host of Five on Friday, the F.A.S.T.blog.

I’ve wanted to post this five for 2 weeks now so I’m just going to move right on into it.

One: The Birds

As the weather improves (if you like sunny and warm anyway), I’ve been spending more time outside soaking in the sun and listening to the birds.

I’m actually a bit terrified of birds, don’t want them too close to me (unless I want a picture), don’t want one for a pet, and absolutely don’t want to touch one.  However, I love watching them and spotting new ones around our yard.

I also love listening to their different calls.  This little Tufted Titmouse has been giving serious competition to the Carolina wren in the how loud can I sing department.

I was super excited to spot an American Redstart flitting about the trees.  A completely new (to me) bird!  These birds do not sit still very long, trying to capture a good photo is about impossible.  Here’s my mediocre attempt:

This little bird was getting a few lessons while complaining about wanting to go home.  I’m hoping it will blossom into something beautiful. (I think it’s a baby robin). I’m not sure on this one but I think it is a Swainson’s thrush.  Another bird I’ve never seen before! Finally, just one more bird to share.  This lonely cooing dove that likes to hang out in the late afternoons.  I do think I saw a pair but only photographed one.

TWO: Not the bees but my protector, a squirrel,  and a bug

This little gray cat loves me and works very hard to keep me safe from those loud annoying birds.  She keeps me safe from the birds but is quite content to let the squirrels (another thing I don’t care much about, any member of the rodent family) run amok.  Finally, a bug I spotted while sitting on the porch.  Or rather upon some Internet research, I think a bug larvae.  Oh, that makes you want to see the picture, huh?  I noticed this bizarre creature on the rim of my lavender pot.  It may turn into a ladybug one day! I sure hope so….

THREE: The Flowers

My aunt gave me these wonderful flowers for Mother’s Day.  They add another beautiful pop of color to my small flower garden area and smell great as well. I love sitting on the front porch enjoying my flower garden. And here’s a close up of the butterfly bush (an Easter gift from my sister) that inspired the whole thing.  It’s starting to bloom.

Four: The Trees

We are fortunate to live in an area with many mature trees.  My opinion is not necessarily shared by my husband but I love the trees.  On a super windy day: Somebody loves to hang out under here when she’s not protecting her mom from those malicious birds.  I fight every few months with my husband that he is NOT going to cut this tree down.  (It’s the neighbor’s tree so I usually win quite easily).

Someone also loves to ignore everyone when she’s in her “clubhouse” as well.

FIVE: A Song

Since I went a little overboard with my photos on this post, I’ll leave you with the song that’s been popping into my head lately when I’m outside enjoying all this nature.

Is it stuck your head now as well?  It is a catchy tune don’t you think? A great one to sing while working in a flower garden!

28 thoughts on “Five on Friday: The Birds, Flowers, And Trees

1. Hootin' Anni

Well, I am an AVID birder…try going out birding at least 3 or 4 times a week. You should consider adding a link to your post here at my birding blog [ http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com ] to share with others.

And I love cats….I’ve always been partial to cats!! Your flowers are beautiful…the color contrasts are simply gorgeous.

And of course, trees…they’re beautiful this time of year [and fall]

Thanks for visiting with me at Hootin’ Anni’s this past week.

A birding blog sounds wonderful, I can’t wait to check it out. I’ll add my link, thank you!

1. Anni @ I'd Rather B Birdin'

I am so happy you joined us this weekend at I’d Rather B Birdin’. Anytime [a new linking tool opens up each Saturday at noon, Texas Time Zone] you have birds to share, stop over and add your link!! I look forward to seeing you often, I hope.

Thank you again for the invite! You’ve certainly inspired me to try and step up my bird watching (and photographing attempts)!

2. Fil Campbell

I love that video – never heard the song before.
    And I love the birds – they’re such fun to watch at this time of the year, but boy are they noisy – yours are all so different from over here and you’ve done well catching photos of them – I can never get them.
    Fil
    Fil Campbell recently posted..Five on Friday – Colours changingMy Profile

Thank you! Yes, they can be super noisy. I go through a lot of blurry photos and near miss photos of nothing before I get decent ones of the birds. A better camera with a higher powered zoom is on my wish list.

You’re welcome, ha! I just didn’t want to sing it solo 😉 Hope you are enjoying your Sunday!

3. Linda P

It’s good to get outside when the weather is sunny. The birds are lively at this time of the year. Here the blackbirds land on the top of our cypress hedge before flying onto the lawn. The sparrows love the cover of the bushes and pop in and out of them. You have a good environment for all the creatures around your house . Your cats have good roaming territory. I miss our pet even though he died about three years ago.

Yes, I love being outside in the sunny weather. I’m hoping we have a sunny day today before more rain finds us. I don’t think we ever stop missing our pets.

4. Diana

Oh dear, you won’t enjoy my post much then as it all birds 🙂 I enjoyed your five though and that was a great finish with the song.

Diana

Oh no! I certainly hope it turns out to be a “real” ladybug, aren’t the ones your talking about the ones that can invade homes? Maybe I’m mixed up though. I’ll have to watch, did see a regular ladybug back on my basil plant in our garden.

5. Karen crimson kettle

I find all the wildlife and plants fascinating from other countries especially the birds – they make such strange noises! Love all the flowers. Have a good week.

Thank you! I also enjoy seeing the posts of all the different creatures and plants from the different countries.

6. Lois

Beautiful photos! I love watching birds and have had several as pets. I have also had several cats, but never both at the same time.

Thank you. Yeah, I imagine birds and cats might not mix very well as pets at the same time. I think I’ll stick to cats as pets.

Thank you! I actually noticed two in our tree yesterday chasing off a little nuthatch so perhaps they’ve built a nest around there?

7. Breathtaking

Hello!:) Lovely post! I’m all for the outdoors, and it’s especially nice at this time of year. The birds start singing at 5.30 am, and it’s a pleasure to hear them, and see them on your blog. Lovely kitty, and flower shots, and the bug is attractive, too, …one I’m not familiar with.

Thank you! It’s drizzling away here today or I’d be out there enjoying the morning, the birds are still singing away though 🙂 The bug is a future ladybug, I’m fairly sure.

8. Tricky Wolf

I’ve always wished I could understand the birdsong more. Around here I know the easy ones like the wood pigeons and the cuckoo but I think it would be great to be able to tell which bird is singing which song
    Tricky Wolf recently posted..The Honey StoveMy Profile

It just takes lots of observation and practice, I’m still not great at it unless I see the bird making the song but I like to think I’m improving. The bird ID app on my phone also has a button to press to hear the birds’ calls so that has also helped.