Five On Friday: Zoo Morning!

We visited the Kansas City Zoo on Wednesday morning.  We didn’t make a day of it because of rain and well, the Kansas City Zoo is fairly large with over 1000 animals.

It’s also rather spread out as they try to create natural habitats for as many animals as possible.

We had a free coupon for our zoo morning.  Since we live in a one of the counties that pays a special zoo tax, we get free admission coupons every few months.

Of course, I used the chance to sneak in a little camera practice.

Our Zoo Morning!

ONE: The Trumpeter swan.

zoo morning

We were excited to hear this bird make its lovely call!

At the front entrance in with this beautiful swan are ducks and turtles. next door are the river otters. No photos of them as my husband and son were moving too fast.  The river otters were sound asleep anyway.

TWO: The Relatively New Penguin Plaza

This is one of my favorite new exhibits at our zoo.  zoo morning A few penguins are outside but most live inside the building.

zoo morning

They were feeding this group of birds.

There may be another photographer in the family. zoo morning

THREE: Flamingos, Pelicans, And Elephants! Oh My!

Just for clarification based on my Wizard of Oz reference up there, The Kansas City zoo is actually in Kansas City, Missouri.  Local friends will understand my need to make that point.  zoo morning We have an aunt who loves flamingos so we always think of her when we see them. A pelican also hangs out in their exhibit. zoo morning zoo morning One of the preschool students loves elephants and so I also always think of him now when I see elephants.  I was surprised how close they were to the walking path on this visit. It was fun to see this elephant chomping on some greenery. zoo morning

Four:  Just Keep Walking Or Riding

My advice is to definitely leave the flip-flops at home and wear your good walking shoes should you visit our zoo.  This bridge over railroad tracks and the Blue River is a good place to watch for “real” wildlife if your party isn’t in a huge hurry.

It’s not really a luxury to be had when visiting places with my husband and J! If you do get tired of walking at the zoo, you can ride a train (not on the tracks pictured above), a boat, a sky lift, or a tram.  zoo morning J and my husband rode the sky lift above while I stayed back and played with the camera. I mostly hung out in the area above waiting for my guys to return on the sky ride and snapping pictures of this African Crested Crane.

African Crested Crane

I tried to contain my amusement at a little girl’s excitement at the plain Canadian Snow Geese. You can see them pretty much anywhere there’s a water source in our city. Of course, we were the tourists enamored with a small lizard running around a zoo in New Mexico.

I noticed these Canadian Snow Geese didn’t get too close to the African Crested Crane!

FIVE: Pretty Flowers At The Zoo

While not a botanical gardens, the flowers at the zoo are very pretty and well-maintained. zoo morning

I would guess we didn’t even see half the animals on our zoo morning.  We still enjoyed our little in town adventure and will probably be back sometime in the fall.  Maybe I’ll leave the in a hurry family at home and come alone with my only my camera next time.

Do you have a zoo in your town? What’s it like?

Linking my post to Five on Friday, hosted by the F.A.S.T. blog, be sure to check it out! Also, going to link this one up with The Bird D’Pot, hosted by I’d Rather B Birdin’.  If you love bird-watching as much as I do, go check out Anni’s amazing posts as well as the links. You won’t be disappointed!

20 thoughts on “Five On Friday: Zoo Morning!

1. Marie-OR

Enjoyed seeing the trumpeter, and the penguin plaza! I’d love to visit one of those one day myself. Gorgeous photos and such lovely closeups of feathers!

2. Hootin' Anni

I love zoos!!!! And that new penguin plaza is absolutely super, isn’t it? Excellent.
    That Crane is awesome too.
    I’m sure glad to read you’re gonna link up tomorrow at noon at I’d Rather B Birdin’ also. A terrific post.

by the way, that elephant image rocks!!!

Anni at I’d Rather B Birdin’
    and
    Hootin’ Anni’s

I honestly sometimes have mixed feelings about zoos although that might come from being old enough to remember when the KC Zoo was not exactly a tourist let alone a very good in town destination. They’ve made really wonderful improvements in the past few years including a big focus on environmental awareness which I do love. Thank you for the compliment on my elephant photo and hosting the link up today. Can’t wait to see all those images!

3. Rachel

Great pictures of the zoo animals!

We live about an hour or so north of the Columbus Zoo. Unfortunately we have not been there in over a year with our crazy schedules. Our family though loves visiting zoos and aquariums when we can. I should try to fit in a visit sometime soon. Thanks again for sharing the pics!
    Rachel recently posted..The Legacy by Michael PhillipsMy Profile

Thanks. It does take a bit of planning to visit the zoo probably more if you are about an hour out (depending on traffic, our zoo is about 30-40 min from us). We didn’t really plan very well for our visit (I always forget we can take our own food and drink in there…much advised as the inside the zoo prices are insane!) or we may have stayed a bit longer.

4. Heidemarie Traut

Liebe(r) Jean,
    vielen Dank für die schönen Fotos vom Zoobesuch!
    Schade Dass Du kein Übersetzungsprogramm auf Deinem Blog hast,
    denn dann könnte ich auch Deine Texte lese…
    Alles Liebe
    Heidi

Thank you for your nice words. I had to copy/paste your comment over into Google to translate. Adding finding a translator program to my to-do list right now 🙂

5. Eileen

Hello, beautiful birds and sightings at the zoo. The flowers are all beautiful too.
    Great collection of photos. Thanks for sharing your zoo visit. I am visiting from Anni’s bird blog.

Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

Thank you. I don’t remember the zoo of my childhood quite looking like the zoo I visited last week. They’ve made several improvements in recent years. There is a lot of open space at our zoo which translates to lots of walking. Sometimes people complain about that and some of the animals being far away but it’s never bothered me much. Hope you’re having a lovely Tuesday!

How interesting! It was outside of a building called “The Tropics” and I forgot to make a note of what kind of flower I photographed. I’m really glad you shared that. They really are beautiful flowers.

6. Rebecca L Knox

Wow! I really enjoyed seeing your Kansas City Zoo post! We were there in mid-June. (I grew up in the KC Metro area, but have lived in SW Missouri for the past 21 years; Kansas City will ALWAYS be home to me!) The penguins were new, so we really enjoyed seeing them. The day we went was so hot, but we greatly enjoyed it regardless!
    Rebecca L Knox recently posted..Five Minute Friday – INSPIREMy Profile

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the penguins (and my post ;)). Should have waited until August to visit, the weather’s much better today. Who would have expected that, huh?