Who wants to join me in a spend less September?
August turned out to be a rather expensive month around here. Really expensive.
Why was it so expensive here?
- School started in August so there were fees to pay and yearbooks to purchase (I highly suggest buying yearbooks at the start of the school year!)
- one of the kids needed new shoes.
- Picture day came in August
- Car tags came due in August and there was a tax error so additional taxes were due also
- We still had to pay the normal bills to have electricity and stuff like that
Why not a spend free September? I really did consider it and then, decided against it. It would be setting myself up for failure and on top of that, I have some obligations plus there are school things going on that would make going for a spend-free month pretty impractical.
So, I compromised with myself and settled on a Spend Less September instead. The goal is pretty simple: Spend less money this month and maybe just maybe even save a little money as well!
My Spend Less September Goals:
These are the areas where I’m hoping to spend a little less this month to make up for last month.
- Planning to cut my grocery store budget in half, just for this month! My hope is to do this by eating most of our meals out of the things already stashed in the pantry, fridge, and freezer.
- No frivolous Target trips! Home cleaning items and decor for fall has to come from here this month.
- On-line Shopping Freeze!
We’ll see how I do at this. I can tell it’s going to be a bit of a struggle. Hopefully, I can stick to the grocery budget during today’s trip. My plan is to simply buy some produce and lunch items for the boys. Target, I shall miss you! I keep thinking of a throw pillow on clearance I passed just a few days back. Since just this morning, I hopped on Amazon to order some steam mop pads, I thought it important to add the on-line shopping freeze to my goals.
A few exceptions:
Here’s why I’m going for a spend less and not a spend-free month.
- It’s my month to host Bunco. While I don’t plan to use a month’s worth of grocery budget on it, I do plan to serve a decent spread. I can keep an eye for sale items but I’m not hosting based on what’s in my pantry, fridge, and freezer this time.
- It’s still marching band/football season and Fridays are busy. No way I’m taking our Subway tradition off the calendar.
- My hair appointment and Mom’s Night Out are much cheaper than a couple of hours of therapy would be, so they stay on my calendar as well!
- I have been dabbling with the essential oils and I’m out of some that I consider, well, essential. Also, I promised J I’d order the cinnamon oil for us to try this month. Can’t wait to smell that mixed with orange for a fall scent.
- With fall arriving seemingly a bit earlier than usual around here, I think J may need a new jacket (he’s outgrown his old one).
What am I planning to do instead of spend too much money at the grocery store, Target, and on-line?
My plan is to start organizing and de-cluttering the house. I’ve been trying to make myself follow the Fly lady zone missions a bit more often. Also, I’ve decided to attempt to follow the Holiday Grand Plan
I’m hoping the Holiday Grand Plan missions won’t interfere too much with the primary goal to save money this month as some of the suggestions do involve spending a bit of money. I may just skip or try to figure out a free way to accomplish those tasks.
I’ll probably make Pinterest my friend on the days I have the on-line shopping bug and pin my purchase wish lists to an applicable board.
Want to talk about on Tuesdays?
I’ve decided to share my progress on Tuesdays in September. Let’s see how much less we can spend and how much we can save in the next 25 days!
Please share your Spend Less September goals and plans in the comments!