Happy, Healthy Homemaker Monday

Well, sort of healthy. G did stay home from school today. However, I’m excited to be feeling human again after battling an infection all weekend.  Perhaps I’ll actually accomplish something this week.

Excited to be joining in with Sandra over at Diary Of A Stay At Home Mom and her weekly link up for this last week of summer. Time to get to the categories and start planning.

The Weather In My Neck Of The Woods

Red hot! Well, for all the Chiefs fans anyway. It is going to be hot, true summer weather for the last week of the season. Supposed to feel like 90 today. Then, Friday, just before fall, down to 79 degrees we go with chances of rain. Even though we need it, I do hope the rain is minimal on Saturday as it’s the marching band’s first competition of the season.

Things That Make Me Happy

Stepping out on the front porch during the early morning hours and hearing the high school marching band as they practice.

Book I’m Reading

So I went from reading about foreign policy to reading: Staying Stylish: Cultivating A Confident Look, Style, and Attitude by Candace Cameron Bure.  It’s light, fun, and I’m almost finished with it. I pulled it from the library since they didn’t have her title from my 18 for 2018 book list.

What’s On My TV Today

Depends on my energy level. I’d prefer to get things done instead of giving in to the call of Netflix (let’s just say I watched a lot on Friday and Saturday…) I do plan to perhaps watch The Emmy’s tonight. Love seeing all the pretty dresses.

On The Menu For Dinner

Great question! Really wish I had a good answer. Originally, I planned to try a new pizza place with the boys. However, my husband wanted pizza last night. Might also depend on when I get to the grocery store. Might try a ham and cheese crescent bake recipe since it’s just going to be the boys and myself tonight.

On The Menu This Week

MONDAY: Ham And Cheese Crescent Bake

TUESDAY: Chicken legs, salad (carry over) *G has early morning band* *I have Bunco*

WEDNESDAY: Pork chops, sweet potatoes *G has early morning band*

THURSDAY: BLT’s, French Fries *G has evening band practice*

FRIDAY: Roast in the crock pot (carry over)

On My To-Do List

1. Usual Monday things: clean out fridge, grocery store, laundry
  2. Pay bills
  3. Clean out freezer
  4. Go through summer clothes, set aside things I haven’t worn
  5. Send a few e-mails

New Recipe I Tried Or Want Try Soon

I made the bread pudding last week. Wasn’t as much of a hit as I’d hoped it would be. However, I also stumbled across a recipe for French Vanilla Wafers in my mom’s recipe box. Those were a hit!

In The Craft Basket

I have a few ideas to add to my butterfly garden area. Hope to have something to show next week.

Looking Forward To

Getting a few things done around the house this week.

Tips And Tricks

I like knowing what’s going on the world but I don’t always get a chance to watch the world (or even the local news), somehow I stumbled across this daily e-mail of news stories called theSkimm.

It comes to my e-mail Monday through Friday and reading it feels sort of like skimming the headlines of the newspapers.  Twice last week, it proved useful in helping me discuss current events. It’s nice to being able to say “Yes, I heard about that” to my teenager as well.

They have some sort of Skimm’bassador program if you refer 10 people, not sure what it’s all about though. If you want to help me find out, sign up by clicking here.

(If you don’t want to sign up under me or at all, no big deal. I’ll still be your friend!)

Photo

Lesson Learned The Past Few Days

Take the medicine to make yourself feel better. I had a bladder infection start on Thursday. Not sure I’ve ever had one prior, certainly blocked the memory if I did. I would not wish this ailment on my worst enemy!  As someone with a pretty high pain tolerance, I thought I would just take the over the counter remedy, drink some cranberry juice, and tough it out.

That nonsense lasted one day. By Friday evening, I still felt bad enough to say “okay” when my husband said I should probably not go to the high school football game in the 90 degree heat. When I start agreeing with my husband, it’s time to take action! Saturday morning, I took myself to the urgent care and got a proper dose of antibiotics. The nurse practitioner told me the cranberry juice thing is a myth. So nice to feel human again.  So thankful for modern medicine!

On My Mind

What a blessing it can be to live in a bigger city with options. I was able to go to an urgent care on a Saturday morning, just driving down the street and not wait until the start of the week or drive miles to another city. We have lots of choices of places to shop, eat, and entertain ourselves. Of course, we also have a fair amount of crime and because we live close to the Kansas state line, twice the political ads airing on TV (ugh!). Overall though I love where we live.

And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh, and give you a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36: 26)

****

18 thoughts on “Happy, Healthy Homemaker Monday

1. Shellie

I always enjoy stopping by! So sorry to hear your not feeling well ! I pray you continue to feel better. I love the picture of your butterfly garden and wait to see what you add to it! Praying you have a blessed week!

2. Laura Smith

We are lucky to have modern medicines and concerned husbands. For temporary but very quick relief for bladder and uti’s I take the medicine AZO but that’s only a band aid to get some relief before a doctor visit.
    Beautiful butterfly!

Yes! Actually, that’s what I bought and it did work well but just well enough to know I needed to get antibiotics. Monarchs are my favorite butterfly, I was so excited when it stopped at my garden. Hope you’re having a great Monday so far.

Thank you. I’d say I’ll know that next time but I really, really hope there is not a next time for this. Once is enough. Hope you’re Monday has gone wonderful so far!

3. Beverly Meyers

I have been doubled over with UTIs. UGH, Glad to realize I have not had one in a while. I do take Cranberry concentrate capsules to keep the UTI away in the first place. Supposedly for the Cranberry juice to work one has to drink UNSWEETENED cranberry juice. I don’t anyone CAN actually drink that! Glad you are doing better.— I LOVE Bread pudding but I have never made it. Don’t know why.

That makes sense about the unsweetened part of the cranberry juice since what she said was about the sugar feeding the bacteria. Have your husband make the bread pudding for you 😉 Hope you’re having a great night!

4. Sherry Jolly

The butterfly photos are beautiful 🙂 I read Candace Cameron’s Reshaping It All. It’s a good one. I have been reading almost every day. Anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours! Depends on how much I have to get done. Other days I too get sucked into Netflix! Have a great week!

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed her book. I wanted to read the one the library had before I invested time (and possibly money) into finding a copy of the one on my list. I do like her style of writing. Noticed she has a new book out as well that sounds intriguing called Kind is the New Classy. The title immediately appeals to me. Hope you’ve had a great Monday!

5. Billie Jo

Oh, my friend.
    The pain of an infection or a UTI is horrible!!!!
    I am so sorry you had to suffer, but glad you were able to get some relief!
    I cannot wait for the fall weather to arrive here!
    Have a cozy week. : )

Yes, it is awful. So thankful to feel like a human being again this morning! We’re having a final blast of summer here but I think we get our fall weather starting on Friday. I’m looking forward to pulling out my fall clothes (though I imagine I’ll need my summer ones as well until mid-November around here, ha!). Hope your week is off to a wonderful start!

Thank you. Our dinner last night was a bit of a bust, crescent rolls expire and let’s just say I bought mine a bit longer ago than I recalled. Hoping to redeem things tonight. Hope your week is going well so far.

Red hot is right! Will be so glad when this weather break and the fall weather moves in and stays. I have the book that you’re looking for by Candace Bure. You’re welcome to borrow it if you’d like. If you private message your address to me I will mail it to you and, when you’re done with it, you can mail it back. I trust you. 🙂 Love the monarch photos. I’m on a bit of a monarch kick myself right now. Have seen quite a few at Prairie lately. Have a blessed week, my friend, and let me know if you want the book. It really would be no problem to mail it to you. <3

I glanced out the back door earlier and watched as it looked like a small rainfall of leaves falling to the ground. Your season is definitely on it’s way here. Might take you up on that offer. I like this book enough though that if I can find some deal on Amazon, I may go ahead and purchase it. Trying to get a collection of books I enjoy and think are keepers going 🙂 Need to make a bit of room first by clearing out a few other books (mostly things the kids have long outgrown…). Oh, I bet it’s so fun seeing the monarchs on the prairie! Hope you’re having a great Tuesday so far!

7. LeeAnna Paylor

yes! Pretty dresses and marching bands… I like this link party. I was in marching band all through junior and senior high, it was the best thing ever. UTI’a are painful. I don’t love yogurt but I know I do better when I’ve been having a little daily.

Did you watch the Emmy’s last night and see the proposal? That was something! I’m glad that happened before my youngest decided to get in his baritone practice, LOL. What instrument did you play? I don’t mind yogurt and actually eat it pretty often for breakfast especially on days I work. By the way, KC is in both Kansas and Missouri but the larger part (the part where I reside) is in Missouri 🙂 Hope your having a wonderful Tuesday so far!