Where do I even start?
Memories from my childhood:
- Riding in the backseat of the car to visit my grandparents who lived on the Kansas side of the state-line.
- Visiting lots of aunts and uncles as my mom delivered her Christmas goodies the week before Christmas (my dad was the youngest of 9 siblings)
- Christmas mornings at home, waking up and finding out Santa came overnight, especially the year he brought Donnie & Marie and their stage! (Probably dating myself with that one)
Memories from being a bit older/teenage years:
- My mom letting me pick out one special present of my choice to open on Christmas Eve
- Going to church (Catholic Mass) with friends (Our family was Baptist but didn’t go to church so I mostly went to church with my Catholic friends)
- Overhearing my mom telling my older brother about how she forgot about the stockings one Christmas Eve in despair. Somehow there were still all kinds of wonderful things in there the next morning including lots of perfume samples which I loved. Confirmation of who Santa really was in that conversation overheard by 12/13 year-old self.
- Finding out my grandmother passed away on Christmas morning when I was about 18. I remember spending the day with the same brother and his wife. Such a sad day but a lot of comfort in my sister-in-law telling me how special my grandmother must have been for God to take her on his birthday.
Memories from being a young adult:
- The year my mom was sick on Christmas (or maybe Christmas Eve?) and it was just my dad and I watching an NBA Basketball game together.
- Going back with a sense of dread to my lonely apartment after being in a house full of my family on Christmas day and finding a Christmas card stuck in the door.
- My boyfriend (now husband) giving me a new coat for Christmas. Asking if I was going to try it on….and finding an engagement ring in the pocket.
More recent memories:
- The boys’ excitement on Christmas morning, waking up at insane hours of the morning
- Breakfast at my in-law’s home
- Decorating gingerbread houses at my sister’s home
- Dinners at my brother’s home
- Exhausted, happy Christmas nights
Probably lots of other worthy, happy memories left out of this post. As usual, I’m running behind and need to get to work. Happy it’s Friday! Hope you have lots of great Christmas memories from the past and are busy creating wonderful new ones for the future!