I Like Taking Things Slow The Week After Christmas

I did something a bit unusual the day after Christmas. Or rather I didn’t do something.

Usually, I take my tree and all the trimmings down like clockwork each December 26th. However, I left the tree up and out to enjoy for a bit longer this time.

It seems as though the world is speeding ahead (already) to looking to the New Year.  I’m instead enjoying the last few days of 2018.

Things felt so rushed the week before Christmas and right up to the big day. I like having this time after to slow down and relax.

Yesterday, it rained on and off all day.  Spent Wednesday in my pajama pants, finishing my book and watching a movie on Netflix.

I like eating cookies for breakfast. A lot. My sister-in-law brought a little surprise Christmas gift for me (and my other sister-in-law) on Christmas morning. I really liked this fun gift:  And my other sister-in-law brought us her “good” sugar cookies (as my boys refer to them) and cherry chip meringue cookies (my favorite!).

I really like eating cookies for breakfast. However, I did not like the number on the scale this morning. Time to give the cookies for breakfast routine a rest. Until next Christmas.

A Few More Christmas Images:

After Santa’s visit:

Someone kept getting in her stocking a bit early (please excuse the blurry photos):

Between Christmas And New Year’s Day

As I mentioned at the start of my post (yesterday), I plan to spend this week enjoying the end of December. And of course, doing a bit of reflecting on the earlier parts of the year.

I really like the slower pace of this week even if it’s hard on all those type A personalities out there.  My poor husband is a bit confused by the wife who always takes the tree down the day after Christmas, not doing it this year.

How do you spend the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day?

****

Joining in with LeeAnna over at Not Afraid of Color for her I Like Thursdays. Go check it out. It’s nice to focus on the happy things we all like.

22 thoughts on “I Like Taking Things Slow The Week After Christmas

1. Diann Bottrell

You have a beautiful tree – I would want to leave it up awhile longer, too! I love Christmas lights, including the tree, so I leave everything up until Jan 1. Those look like fun and comfy pajama pants, and you found a great way to spend Dec 26!

Thank you. I did go ahead and take it down this weekend, needed the space back in the house. Left a lot of our other decorations out though 🙂

how wonderful.. being relaxed enough to enjoy the moment is priceless. Warm soft clothes and cats to pet while reading, cookies, all good. I like the cat’s “cattitude” about have it now. Why wait for a certain day or time… it’s there enjoy it.
    I’m grateful I found you this year! Happy new year!

Yes, it was a nice moment. And then, sick. UGH. Oh well, better now 🙂 Yes, I’m grateful to have found you this year as well. Happy almost 2019 to you!

3. Suzanne

We did not have any cookies in the house, so we had caramel popcorn for breakfast. My Husband has a difficult time with the days between Christmas and going back to work…he wants to be doing something all the time. Me…I want to relax, read, sew and sleep in. We always do some kind of big clean out project. This year, it was all the books.

I think caramel popcorn is almost breakfast cereal. Usually, I like to be doing things like that but this year I’m just taking it slow. Seems as if the break is going by so fast! Cleaning out books is a project that needs to happen around here.

Thank you! That will be nice all taking the tree down together. I went ahead and took ours down but left a lot of the other decorations out. Just taking my time with it all.

4. Pat Evans

I don’t put up a tree anymore, but when I did it was always a real tree and I didn’t take it down until at least Jan 1. Now I enjoy my tabletop trees but I do miss seeing my favorite ornaments. There’s nothing wrong with slowing down for a week. Of course, now that I’m retired, I’m always in slow-down mode.

We didn’t get many of our favorite ornaments on the tree this year and it sat mostly without decorations. Next year, I do think I’ll push more to make them help me put on the ornaments. I did miss seeing them. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

5. Billie jo

Yes. Yes. Yes.
    I am a huge advocate for slowing things down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day!
    I join you in the cozy, laid-back days.
    The world rushes around every single day the rest of the year, always pushing us to do more, go faster, spend more. Why not take a few days to reflect and enjoy the peace and cozy?
    Hugs, my friend.
    Enjoy that lovely tree!
    Billie jo recently posted..Merry Christmas!My Profile

Seems like these last few days of the year are rushing by so fast even with an intentional slow-down. Of course, I did think it was Sunday almost all day. Oops! Went ahead and took my tree down but left a lot of other decorations out for a while. Hope you have a wonderful and very happy New Year!

Thank you. I thought it was cute as well. Not sure how the cookies inside will turn out. Too many cookies around still to test them out right now. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

6. Su-sieee! Mac

i like your sparkle sparkle tree. One year the tree stayed up to February. No one complained. lol This year the Husband took a long strand of lights and outlined a Christmas tree on one of the walls. Methinks that tree will be up for a long while.

Thank you! Oh, I don’t think I could wait until February! One reason I typically take mine down so soon (as in December 26) is that my mom used to leave hers up forever and it drove my crazy, LOL! So the few extra days I left it up was really unusual for me. A tree of lights outlined on the wall sounds really neat and fun though.

7. mary

Great idea! I too like cookies for “breakfast” so I can have a real meal later. hee hee. I love your tree and those lanterns. Enjoy your week. mary

Thank you. It would be nice to eat cookies for breakfast followed by a real meal all year but my scale says “nope, probably not a great idea” Hope you’ve had a wonderful weekend so far.

8. Rachel

According to my facebook memories, most years apparently I have taken the tree down today. However this year I am leaving it up probably until New Year’s Eve or day. Not sure yet. I have gotten all the kids’ toys put away (that is what having 3 babysitting kids here the day after Christmas will make you do). I am trying to savor the season I guess.

Sounds like you had some motivation for getting those toys put away. Hope you are still enjoying your tree! I caved and took mine down, needed the living room space.

9. Hooks and Needles

Hi Jean. Happy Christmas break to you & family. Yes it’s nice to slowly enjoy the time off I think. We were away a few days but getting things done without the rush is bliss. Love your cat photo – ‘ooh they’ve left me a nice pillow for snoozing’. Happy new yr. Cathy x

10. Sandra Walker

I like the slower pace, and breaks from regular routine too. I really like the photo of your candles; I love candles, especially the battery-powered ones with remote-control that I have. Your cat is so cute and funny!