I Like Days Off Work

Since my New Year started off with lots of time working, I enjoyed my day off on Tuesday. And intend to enjoy my day off today (in between doing lots of “have-to” things).

My work day on Monday looked like this (taken from my phone during my break time):

That does not look like a typical cold January sky! And it was not. We hit almost 60 degrees on Monday. Lots of outside playtime and minimal mud as well!

Of course, now as I predicted (Hey, I could have been a meteorologist in another life! Or I’ve just lived here all my life), they’re calling for these this weekend:

Don’t you wish you could live somewhere it snowed pretty gold glittery snowflakes?  Ha! The photo above is my new doormat, picked up on clearance at Big Lots.

We’re going to get the regular white stuff on Friday night into Saturday. Maybe. Never know but the TV people seem very confident.  Took the photos of my mat while outside enjoying the sun on a somewhat (though still warm) cooler Tuesday.

Also noticed this bottle my husband found while hunting last week. I think it’s calling for some sort of single stemmed flower planted in the dirt inside. Any ideas?

The rest of my day off:

Along with the rest of the world, I’ve been watching Marie Kondo on Netflix. Even grabbed her book at the library (bonus tiny tip: there wasn’t any waiting for the large print edition of the book while the list on the regular book was 10 deep).

Of course, it’s hard to pile clothes on the bed when it’s still occupied. I think my little gray cat had a better idea on how to spend a day off.

My plans for today:

Take a photo of the pretty sunrise. Our sunrises and sunsets have been stunning this week though this was the first one I could capture:

Try very hard not to start on wrong footing with over-tired teen. Go grocery shopping for the sake of my “starving” family. Mail a (now very late) Christmas package. Perhaps read some more in my book. Enjoy my candles:

Clean the house. Watch a bit of Netflix. Go shopping. Meet friends for dinner. Simply enjoy the day.

How are you spending your Thursday?

****

Linking up my post with I Like Thursdays hosted by LeeAnna over at Not Afraid Of Color.

22 thoughts on “I Like Days Off Work

1. Shannon M Conley

I’m with you on days off work! We have Monday off for MLK day, and I’m super thrilled. Your kitty is so precious! My big blue got up on my bed this morning when I wasn’t looking but he’s giant and bouncy and muddy, so it wasn’t quite so sweet. Have a great week!

We get that day off as well. And the kids get Friday off because of teacher work days. Not sure if I’ll get that lucky though. Oh no, muddy on the bed doesn’t sound quite as sweet. My “sweet” little sleeping kitty wanted to play at 2 AM last night so there’s a trade-off for those sweet sleeping cat pictures I suppose. Hope you are enjoying your Saturday!

so many good likes! Where to start??? the mat… I want one too! Our storm is supposed to start tonight and turn into inches instead of the dusting earlier predicted. The gray cat… cozy, the candle my fave scent, the book in large print, perfect, cuppa tea, feeding poor starving family lol. When dh said the weather will turn frightful I asked if we had a good supply of food and milk! Life would have shut down in MD with 4 ” predicted. The sunsets have been spectacular here too, what a gift! I take lots of photos and want to try to paint some of them.

We got 5 inches of snow overnight last night & it’s still snowing on and off! Been a while since we’ve had a snow like this one. I thought MD typically has snowy winters? I always imagine the east coast covered in snow all winter long…should I be imagining nicer weather for that area? Can’t wait to see your paintings! Hope you aren’t too snowed in this morning.

3. mary

Your day off sounds more fun than my day-Enjoy! I like your new mat-functional but pretty. I have been seeing lots of posts about Marie Kondo so I may have to get the book since I don’t get Netflix. ooh la la=balsam-love it. Great post. mary

It was a nice 2 days off (unusual for Thursdays and Friday but much needed). Her book is not quite as charming as she seems in person, I’d suggest maybe at least watching a you-tube video or checking out her site prior to reading the book. Just to get her tone better. Hope you are having a great weekend so far!

I like days off work, too, Jean, but most of mine are crazy busy! This week has been GREAT! Monday a couple of friends and I had a “history date”. We visited the Bates County Museum in Butler, the Battle of Island Mound State Historic Site, the Papinville Bridge, and Osage Village State Historic Site and ate lunch at historical Swope’s Drive-In in Rich Hill. Tuesday and Wednesday were spent taking down the Christmas stuff (it’s never been done this late) and deep-cleaning and reorganizing the Van Gogh room. It feels so good! The problem is, I’ve had no time for blogging and I go back to work tomorrow. (Gotta go to Lamar today and run errands.) And, yes, SNOW! I LOVE your snow mat!!! It’s beautiful! We’re supposed to get it here tomorrow and Saturday, too. I’ll be at the park by myself Saturday, so I am greatly looking forward to it! I doubt there will be many hikers out! 😀 Love all your pics…especially the old bottle! I love old bottles. Let us know what you end up doing with it. You can get all that dirt out by putting hot water, dish soap and a quarter cup or so of rice in it and shaking. The rice acts as a scrubber and will dislodge the dirt. Might have to do it several time and letting the bottle soak first will help. Have a great rest of the week and I’ll ttyl! Enjoy the snow! <3

Sounds like you’ve had some really great days! I read Rich Hill and thought, oh, the pecan place! We stopped at the tourist type place right off the highway on our way to Roaring River back in August. They had the best candied pecans. We had 5 inches of snow over night and still snowing a bit this morning/early afternoon. Two large tree limbs down in our backyard (thankfully, no power lines/roofs hit). It really looks pretty out there. Thanks for the tip on the cleaning the bottle. Once I find it again under all the snow, I’ll give it a try!

5. Rachel

LOVE the new doormat! So pretty. We are supposed to get a lot of the “white” stuff this weekend, but we shall see. I would love it as long as I don’t have to drive in it. I had to laugh because my kitties like to do the exact same thing as your cat… And Gus has taken to jumping on the bed when I am making it and attacking the sheet. Then he stays there as I place the comforter on and attacks from under the comforter. Silly cat. I have used the “let’s see if they have it in large print” idea at my library from time to time to bypass the wait list for the popular books. Enjoy your day off!

6. Diann Bottrell

Your plan for your day sounds perfect! I have that same strategy for getting books at the library – especially the very popular ones – reserve the large print edition! Plus I find I like the larger print these days. Enjoy your day!

Ha, I thought I was on to something with that “secret” strategy. Not such a secret, LOL! I, too, prefer reading the large print editions a bit. Easier on the eyes. Hope you’ve had a great weekend so far!

7. Roseanne

Hi Jean! We are supposed to get snow Friday night into Saturday as well. It seems half the nation will be impacted by this ‘huge’ storm. At least that’s what your peeps in the weather forecasting business is saying. HAHA! We haven’t had any measurable snow since November 26, which in SE Wisconsin and the Chicago-area is just very, very ODD. So, I won’t complain about no snow but I sure haven’t minded or missed driving in it one bit. Aren’t days off when everyone else is working just the best?!! You can visit stores and browse at your leisure, with no lines. A true luxury for me. Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

Looks like maybe they were right around here. Lots of snow this morning. I’d enjoy it more if one son wasn’t stuck at a friend’s house (he’s fine and probably very happy but I’d prefer to have all home) and the other one hadn’t woke up with the stomach flu. Yuck. Yes, I get spoiled having days off during the week especially on busier weeks when I have to do my shopping like a “regular person” 😉 Hope you enjoy your weekend!

8. Su-sieee! Mac

I like the indigo colors of your sunrise. I don’t recall ever seeing indigo in a sunrise before, but then I’m hardly up in time to see the sunrise. I like your doormat. Maybe we ought to step into Big Lots the next time we come across one. Good cheer to you. 🙂

One of the benefits of getting up to make sure my kids get up and off to school, time to look out the door and see the sunrise. I hadn’t been in Big Lots in quite a while so I was excited to find something there. Hope you are having a great weekend so far!

9. Colette

Like your list for your day off. The door mat is fabulous. I know toasty and now frigid cold again. What is up with that? At least I got some outside work done.

Thank you. Probably should have been a bit more productive as now I have to take care of things on a Saturday but I needed the down time. Weather is somewhat typical for here (though usually not quite that warm in January). Glad you were able to get some outside work done in the nicer weather!

Thank you. I think the doormat may have attracted too much white stuff, lots of snow over the weekend. Measured 7 inches here but all my neighbors seem to think closer to 10 inches of snow. Yikes! Wouldn’t be nice to be able to nap like a cat? Hope your week is off to a wonderful start!

10. Deanna

awww, I think we have matching green mugs! I had four, and my first round of KonMari through the kitchen I thought I was done with them, that is until I was waiting for the library to open up so my daughter could volunteer, and I saw a lady carrying a green mug. I knew in an instant that I was sorry I let them go. And then, while setting up for a yard sale I discovered in a tote the four green mugs! My heart! We moved all four to Tucson with us, but once in Tucson I released two of them. Four didn’t spark joy, especially when our dishes are red LOL

Your cat is so sweet sleeping there.

I hope you enjoyed your day. I secretly love grocery shopping, but only when we are not desperate for food – I rather like my Trader Joe’s shopping – it’s all about the fun stuff.

We bought them, probably at Target, a few years ago so we could have a reasonable set of coffee cups for Easter brunch. I do like them though especially for tea. It’s hard when you let things go and then, think you made a mistake. Green & red are Christmas colors 🙂 I like Trader Joe’s shopping but it’s not as practical with this picky bunch. Fun though.
      Jean recently posted..Taking Time For GratitudeMy Profile