Happy Homemaker Monday, Martin Luther King, Jr Day

Has it really only been a week between Mondays? Feels as if years have passed as the last week was a long one! Topped off by the adrenaline pumping, heart-breaking Chiefs game last night.

Maybe next year, Chiefs. We still love you.  I’ve already seen the comparisons tossed around to the 2014/2015 Royals. And how the baseball team came back and won the World Series in 2015. Maybe they took a page out of that playbook. At least, spring training is soon enough. Oh, baseball weather, how I miss you!

Speaking of the weather, let’s get to the categories our host, Sandra over at Diary Of A Stay At Home Mom provides for the link up each week.

Still sweater weather.

Cloudy all week. Today, warmer but I can already hear the wind. Good chance of rain (maybe turning into snow) tomorrow. Good news, if we want a blizzard around here, we’ll have to head to Dairy Queen. Not sure how far we’ll have to head to find some sunshine.

Right Now I Am

Working on this post while the boys (plus a few friends of G) sleep. No school due to the holiday. Also, trying to stay out-of-the-way while my husband fixes the garbage disposal (always something).

Thinking

Bit too early and I haven’t had enough coffee yet. Really, I’m just hoping for this week to be a bit calmer with everyone healthy.

Finished The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. Tried to renew my books only to see 12 people discovered my large-print edition trick and 22 (!) people were waiting on Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Start Up by John Carreyrou. No renewals allowed.

No need to worry as I read Carreyrou’s book in a day. Non-fiction but read like a fiction thriller. Then, I noticed an e-book I’d wanted to read on sale for 99 cents so I also read Better in the Morning by Fern Ronay. A shorter, lighter read about a young professional guided by her late grandparents as she makes career and romance decisions.

And I guess for returning my books on time, library karma gifted me with finding a brand new copy of An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen just sitting on the shelf! I’ll start it today.

On My TV

Not sure. Whatever I can find on Netflix (I finished Stay Here, an interesting one about remodeling home rentals). And Seal Team (hopefully, it’s back this Wednesday).

Favorite Blog Post

Not a blog post but a really interesting article entitled How One Cup of Coffee Inspired a Journey of a Thousand Thank Yous by A.J. Jacobs.

On The Menu

“Everyone wants to be a food critic but no one wants to cook the food.” said to my family about their obsession with watching Gordon Ramsay. Decided it’s time to go back to “take it or leave it” dinner options.  Lots of question marks this week as I still need to go through the fridge/freezer and grocery shop.

MONDAY: Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls (found a recipe to try while cleaning out the cookbooks)

TUESDAY:   Pork chops, baked potatoes *I work 10-4* *G has pep band*

WEDNESDAY:  Spaghetti?  *I work 2-3:45*

THURSDAY:  Lemon chicken? *I work 8:15* *J has a baritone lesson*

FRIDAY:  No idea *I work 8:30-4:30*

On My To-Do List

1. Everything from last week except clearing the clothes
  2. Finish clearing out books
  3. Start on clearing out paper
  4. Write and schedule a few blog posts
  5. Give my unavailable dates to my work

Creating

Bird feeders from recycle materials. Not pretty but functional.

Looking Around The House

Not awful. Needs a good “everybody needs to get out so I can clean” cleaning.

The birds are back!

On My Prayer List

My husband’s grandfather and family in Oklahoma, friends going through some hard things, family members who spend too much time with politics, and all the politicians to find some peaceful solutions to their differences. And of course, everyone reading this blog.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. (Martin Luther King, Jr.)

*******

What’s on your agenda for this week?

18 thoughts on “Happy Homemaker Monday, Martin Luther King, Jr Day

Thank you! There were a pair of cardinals out there not too long ago but I was too slow with the camera. Hope you have a great week as well!

LMBO at your dinner comments. It’s always been a take it or leave it at our house. I absolutely LOVE your bird pictures! So sweet that you feed the birds and those feeders are perfect. Also what a PERFECT quote in light of the holiday. Have a WONDERFUL week.

Thank you. I fed the birds last winter but hadn’t picked it back up yet for this winter and really missed it! Hope you have a wonderful week as well!

lots to like on this post… the bird pics are wonderful. I looked and looked at them. Like the idea of the birdseed holder from lettuce container. Can they just reach in and get it thru the slot?
    A book in a day… I’d fall asleep trying to do it! Although I have been so into Sara Dunant’s books that dh walked by and commented, hellooooooooo
    I wish leaders remembered they are just employees elected to do what the majority of people want done. It’s not an easy job, so people with a respect for others, ability to compromise, and integrity to instill trust need only apply in future. That’s my dream. I liked your quote from a man who wanted us to respect each other.

It’s actually a strawberry container but same idea. And that was my original idea, them reaching in and getting it through the little holes and slat but a naughty squirrel made things much easier! Not sure how it’s going to work once the snow melts since the table top is full of holes. Guess they’ll be all over the deck flooring. I read extremely fast (thanks to a high school speed reading course) which is good and bad. Maybe some day a calmer political environment, we can hope, right? Hope you have a wonderful week!

Thank you. Seems strange to think of bears eating bird seed. I’ll have to remember how lucky I am next time I’m fussing at the squirrels 🙂 Hope you have a great week!

As you know, I am not a football fan, Jean, but I was sure hoping that the Chiefs would win against the Patriots yesterday. Would have loved having the Chiefs play the Rams! We had clear skies for last night’s lunar eclipse, but they are cloudy today…and, yes! Windy! In fact, we are under a wind advisory. Good job on recycling the items into bird feeders! I love, love, LOVE your bird pics! They are awesome! Am lifting your prayer requests up here and hope your husband’s grandfather is doing better. Have a fantastic week ahead, my friend! Blessings! <3

Thank you! Hope it didn’t get too windy for you today. I had forgotten how much I enjoy watching the birds. Even had a couple of Bluejays come visit this morning. Fun seeing all my backyard birds come back (and the pesky squirrels as well). Hope you have a wonderful week!

4. Sandra

I used to take so many bird pictures when we were stationed in Arizona, I don’t know why I stopped doing it here, especially since I’m now in the country. Your post motivated me to get out there more with the camera. I also have cardinals in my yard, love them.

Hope you’re having a great week.

So sorry about your Chiefs Sweetie! I was cheering for them and the Saints and neither got in. Boo!
    I’m curious about the deconstructed cabbage rolls – sounds intriguing? Lots of good sounding books Lady. And I LOVE the bird pics. Gorgeous!!

Have a blessed week ahead Jean. xo

Thank you. Always next year. I was a little sad to see on the news this morning we had some fans with poor sportsmanship during the game. Ugh, I expect more from KC. Checked the recipe title again and it’s called Soup Bowl Cabbage Rolls. Haven’t made it yet (cabbage in fridge was a bit older than I remembered, oops!) but the gist is it all cooks together with no stuffing of cabbage leaves. Still plan to try it once I get out to the store again. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday and rest of the week!

Sorry I’m so late making the rounds. Lovely bird pics! I need to start feeding the birds too! The only ones I don’t want are the bluebirds… they always want to attack! we have a mean one around here. Hope you had a great week

I’m always surprised how some of the smaller birds tend to be so aggressive and mean as opposed to the larger birds. It was a bit of an odd week with a holiday and then a snow day. Hoping this coming week won’t feel terribly long because of it. Hope your weekend’s been wonderful so far!

7. Deanna

Oooh, I love The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up!
    I pretty much owe my whole life right now as it is to that book – we’d still be exactly where we were if I hadn’t put my faith in it.

Do either of your boys show interest in working in the kitchen? My girls will, for the fun stuff, and my oldest will do dinner, but Miss Particular youngest is a no go unless it’s quesadillas or pizza or garlic bread. Actually, she’ll cut vegetables, but won’t eat even a single bite.

Wishing you speed and luck with papers! It’s a tough job, but most of it is just shuffling it from the big pile to other piles – needs action, to keep, to keep temporarily, sentimental, and finally to shred 🙂 My favorite!

My boys show interest in watching Gordon Ramsay shows on You-tube and then, having opinions on our meals 😉 I keep telling them they’ll be getting turns in the kitchen. I should probably follow through on that sometime soon. I got really stuck doing papers. It’s harder because with my husband being self-employed, we HAVE to keep some papers and I’m not sure what. I guess it will need to be a group project, does not sound very fun to me. LOL.