Grief And Gratitude

If you follow the blog, you didn’t see a Happy Homemaker Monday post from me this week.  Unfortunately, my husband’s grandfather passed away Friday evening.  My husband was already in Oklahoma to support his family.

The services were Monday and Tuesday in Oklahoma. The boys and I packed up and traveled down there on Sunday morning.

Even in grief, I found a little time for gratitude. I kept a running tally in my head. The first six items, I threw in a draft folder on Friday evening. The rest popped into my head during the weekend and early part of the week.

Before We Left Items:

1. My boys getting a chance to know one of their great-grandfather. He lived 99 years!  Only in the past 2-3 years did his health quickly decline. How many 14 and 17 year-old kids are lucky enough to have known their great-grandfathers for so much of their lives?
  2. Liz Claiborne for making stylish plus sized clothing

Full disclaimer: I opted not wear this after to the services after all as it felt a little too informal once I arrived down there. Still happy with my purchase and will wear it for other more casual occasions.

3. Not being sick this weekend with a million things to do
  4. A kind friend willing to look after our little gray cat on a moment’s notice
  5. Payday!
  6. Seeing more birds at the bird feeders each day

Items From The Rest Of The Weekend/Week:

1. Safe travels to and from Oklahoma for all of us

So glad they did their range-burning on one of our non-travel days!

2. Caring middle school teachers (I had to e-mail each teacher regarding missing parent-teacher conferences regarding a different matter)
  3. Good weather, both here and in Oklahoma
  4. A good breakfast each morning at our hotel (normally, we stay with family but opted to get a hotel room this time because of the number of people in town)
  5. Minimal family drama (Honestly, this concerned me. Prayers for healing of some on-going family rifts appreciated)
  6. Mostly avoiding family drama (Extra prayers my husband and I continue to avoid it.)
  7. Family
  8. Grandpa’s faith.
  9. My kind, generous husband and children
  10. Good friends
  11. Sleeping in my own bed last night!
  12. Coffee, especially at home coffee. While I love Starbucks and the fancy creamers of the hotel lobbies, nothing beats being able to just get up and fix yourself a cup of your own coffee to start the day.
  13. My plants in the windowsill (mostly) surviving as I forgot about them
  14. Today being an absolutely beautiful first day of spring!

What things are you grateful for this week?

**********

Joining the I Like Thursdays over at the Not Afraid Of Color blog. Be sure to go check it out and say hello to LeeAnna and the other wonderful bloggers joining in today,

21 thoughts on “Grief And Gratitude

I’m sorry for your loss, Jean. I did wonder what had happened when I went to post my HMM post on Tuesday and didn’t find you there. I was going to message you if you didn’t post by Wednesday, but yesterday was such a whirlwind that I never got a chance. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers here. Love your gratitude list in the midst of grief. Keep looking forward, my friend. The best is yet to come! Blessings! And a big (((HUG)))! <3

~Rebecca

Thank you. I did think about borrowing my son’s laptop and posting one or posting one late Wednesday night but decided sometimes you just gotta let things go. I still need to go around and check out what everyone has going on this week or rather had going on this week as it’s finally Friday! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

2. Shannon M Conley

Prayers for you and your whole family in your loss! I’m so glad you got out here and back safely, and doubly glad there was minimal family drama. What a blessing that you had such a good list of things to be thankful for anyway, and I love that your children got to know one of their greats!

Thank you! Yes, I’m so glad they were able to know him and are old enough, they’ll be able to remember. I didn’t know my grandparents on my dad’s side, let alone my great-grandparents so it just amazes me.

3. Suzanne

It is wonderful you children had a great grandfather still living…multiple generations blessing. I am glad you got through without too much drama!

Yes, I’m really glad they were able to know him. I think staying at a hotel helped us with that somewhat 😉 Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Thank you! Yes, almost to 100. And really, his health didn’t even start to decline seriously until about 4-5 years ago. Can you imagine? Hey, by the way, and completely off this topic…I saw on the news this morning where your area might be able to see the Northern lights tonight. Not sure if that’s a big deal for up there or not but I thought I’d pass the info along 🙂

4. Diann Bottrell

I’m so sorry to hear about your husband’s grandfather, and so glad you had safe travels there and back. It is so special that your kids got to know their great-grandfather, too! I agree on the home coffee! One of my favorite times of the day is first thing when the house is quiet and you get to sit down with that first cup of good coffee. Your Maya Angelou quote was wonderful!

Thank you! The only thing about the home coffee is I drink a lot more of it since the whole pot is right here. I was looking through my images and found the quote, probably shared it the last time we had a long winter (been a while). Hope you are having a happy Friday so far!

what another wonderful list and reminder of the everyday events to be grateful for. Safe travels… this is so true and cannot be taken for granted. Pretty clothes in larger sizes… when I went through a puffy phase growing up only older women were larger, and I felt ugly. It’s nice that there are choices.
    Getting to know one’s great grandfather is priceless… and I am sorry for your loss. I appreciate hearing about family dynamics… and the gratitude for peace during this moment. Sometimes I feel my dysfunctional family is the only one. It says a lot about you that you keep balance while dealing with stress… you balance the difficult with things to like, and I like you and your way of viewing the world. LeeAnna

Thank you. Oh, I think family issues are more in the majority than you might think. And I also think, the issues cycle through…I do believe all will be well again eventually (I’m just super impatient in some regards like this one!). And thank you for your kind words 🙂 Hope you are having an amazing weekend! And seeing some sun and more spring-like weather like we’ve been having around here.

6. Hooks and Needles

Very sorry to hear your news Jean. We’re making frequent trips to see MIL as she’s very ill. It’s all very sad really. Take care & God bless you, particularly with family strife. I suppose we all have issues sadly. There’s no perfect family but since God put us in families, it’s ok to talk to him about it. Sending love Cathy x

Thank you. I’m sorry to read your MIL is not doing well. It’s very hard when our loved ones become so ill. Oh, God and I’ve had some very long conversations about it all 😉

7. Sally

How lucky to know a great-grandfather. I’m very sorry for your loss. Huzzah for minimal family drama – may it continue to be that way. Hugs.

8. Pingback: Happy Homemaker Monday, Sunday Evening Edition -