Thought since this is a super busy time of year, I’d share a quick productivity tip. I’ve actually already posted about this tip once. It’s one I do return to when I feel overwhelmed.
And it involves making a list, something I still despise but force myself to do when it becomes apparent the only solution to my overwhelm is to sit down and write out those pesky to-do tasks on a daily basis. Mostly, I’m a I know what I need to do, why should I make a list type person? Oh boy, I realized I sound just like my youngest son.
This quick productivity tip comes from Allyson Lewis and is really simple. She has a list here of 21 Ways to Improve Your Productivity and this is item number 4 on her list. You simply complete 5 tasks before 11:00a.m. I always find I get more done when I use this method.
My list stays simple. And I’ve learned the hard way to keep it at 5 items. Trying to squeeze in 7 gets overwhelming. It’s better to “follow the rules” and keep the list at 5 items and let anything else be a bonus.
My 5 Tasks For This Morning:
- Write and Publish A Blog post. (Trying my best not ignore my blog entirely during the next few weeks. Every year at this time, I have so many ideas for posts that I never seem to get written and published.)
- Unload and Load Dishwasher (I was lazy last night) AND wash the pans!
- Put a roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight.
- Clean out my purse. It’s full of receipts and trash and I don’t know what else. I want to be able to easily find things in it when I go shopping later today.
- Take a Christmas present inventory. I need to get out the hidden presents and stocking stuffers and see what I have (I already know: not much).
I also made a quick list of 5 tasks I’d like to get done after 11. If they don’t happen today, I’ll just bump them to my list for tomorrow morning.
The rest of my to-do list for today (the to-do list for Christmas planning is much longer!):
- Go Christmas shopping (need to get Secret Santa gift for my work party tomorrow night!)
- Clean out fridge!
- Grocery store (need cheese ball ingredients plus food for the teenagers who eat non-stop)
- Spend 15 minutes cleaning every room in our house
- Write out and mail 5 Christmas cards (also on my shopping list for today)
Is your holiday to-do list overwhelming? What’s on your list for just today?
(Excited to be completing item 1 from the list of 5 tasks before 11).